[nagdu] My new dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jul 24 12:23:54 UTC 2009

Hi Ted.
Congratulations on your new dog!  He sounds very nice.

I work in New York City.
I just heel the dog through the turnstiles, as Marion says.  You gotta be
ready to go, no dilly-dallying, or you'll have to swipe your card again,
but I've always made it, even with a new dog.
As for relieving, I choose a place between 2 parked cars whenever
possible, one with enough room for the dog to do his spins and sniffing. I
keep the leash short--I do not make long leash!  Long leash is long enough
for the dog to go out past the parked cars, and that's not safe.  I also
have to pay attention for idiots pulling in or out even though the dog and
I are there.  It can take some getting used to, for both you and the dog,
but it's the method used by all the people I know in the City.  Be ready
for it to take a while at first.  Ben still gets distracted by pedestrians
sometimes, and stops his dance.  Also, I guarantee you that, sometime,
someone will come up and ask you if you want to cross the street.  Why
sure, I always get ready to cross in the middle, with my dog's harness
off, and I let him sniff around by the curb first!  Grrrr!

GDB used to teach us to heel the dog off of a bus.  I don't know if they
still do, but I found it to be terrible advice.  Maybe buses in California
don't pull up in front of poles or trees or construction, but buses around
here do.  I always work the dog off the bus, and hold onto the door rail
in case the last step is extra-big.  Same with the subway, of course.
Never step in front of your dog when you're around the subway.  I know
they told you that in class, but a person gets home and feels familiar and
whoops hey wow!
Anyway, have fun with your first trip to the Big City.  Walking in the
city can be fun with a dog.  More fun when I was young and enthusiastic,
but still awesome to work with the crowds.
Tracy