[nagdu] Impressions Please?

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Jul 28 20:58:45 UTC 2009

Marion,

I don't disagree with you at all on your point about cleaning up, no matter
by what means, being an essential responsibility of a service animal
handler. As for people with other disabilities, there are a number of
solutions, including long handled scoops, the toileting harness, and
learning the art of asking for help. Some people will take their dogs to
isolated areas and let them go in bushes. I always advise against this
highly. First off, bushes harbor ticks, broken glass and other trash, and
someone is eventually going to have to clean that up anyway. Other animals
are more likely to use that area for relieving, and the possibility to
spread diseases is huge.  It may even kill the bushes if you use those areas
regularly.

Like I said, I'm opposed to the exemptions as well but realize there may be
some cases in which they are appropriate. Maybe the people living in NYC
where there is such an exemption can explain why they feel it is
appropriate, if in fact they do feel so.

Your warning about restaurants is a good one and I'd add to it that folks
want to be mindful around hotels and other such places, like convention
centers. Sometimes that great relieving area is indeed right outside the
restaurant or main lobby which is designed for looking outside at the lovely
landscaping.

As for not cleaning up because someone might not want to carry a bag of
smelly stuff around, though I can understand it, I can't condone it. A few
solutions include putting a sealable bag in your harness pouch or other
convenient place just in case you do need to carry stuff. There are some of
these that actually do really keep the smell in. There are also scented
bags, more expensive of course, but nice when traveling especially, again,
just in case.

I will put the bag at a corner, just shy of the corner, with the bag untied
so that the stuff can escape if it is washed down the storm drain. This is
not optimal, but it beats taking stuff on the bus without a container.

I recently had to take a stool sample to the vet and though I usually use
one of the fecal sample collectors, which are beyond nifty btw, this time I
had to use a bag. I wrapped the sample in 3 bags and put it inside a
sealable bag and I could still smell it, but I can smell things, or think I
smell things, most people can't. <grin> I understand that people are
offended by us carrying bags of poop and all and to that I'd say to anyone
brave enough to mention it directly, that he or she can certainly help me
find a place to dispose of the stuff. If not, then I'll continue to carry
it, or leave it on his/her seat. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com