[nagdu] Shepherds and the ocean

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Wed Jul 29 14:56:21 UTC 2009

Hi Wayne,

I must first off say I'm speaking of a lab/golden cross here, and of course
she's a scrounge girl.  But I have to be careful about what she puts in her
mouth when on the beach.  We often have to take seaweed away from her, and
little dead things are a temptation, too.  If your dog ingests much sea
water, the result is definitely diarrhea.  So I try to be aware of what my
dog is doing, though it's not always easy.  On the positive side, there is
so much for a dog to see...birds, lots of people, games going on the beach.
Dogs usually like all the new activity.  Many like the ocean, but, as Marion
said, you just have to introduce it and see what his reaction is.  My dogs
are used to our pool, so they aren't sure what to make of that moving water.
I'm on the Gulf of Mexico side of the state, where the waves are pretty
tame.  If you're staying on the Atlantic, then you'll have much larger
waves, and your dog might be intimidated by them, unless he's like Marion's
shepherd.  Of course his dog grew up around the    water.  If you go in the
water with him, he may accept it and find he enjoys it.

I have an old harness and leash, and like to use them when I go to the
beach.  I often have visits from the beach police, who come up and tell me
dogs aren't allowed, and then they see the harness, apologize and leave.

It goes without saying that you need to bring water for your dog, and access
to shade now and then is good.  We use a beach umbrella, and my dog can lay
there for hours enjoying her surroundings without getting too much intense
sun.

My first dog, which was half shepherd, rarely would keep her normal eating
schedule when away.  It was a real pain, but it seems that's the nature of
the shepherd beast.  I remember being in hotels with her refusing to eat
unless I lay down on the bed and put the bowl down beside me.  When I took
her to Mexico when I was a college student, we stayed with a family.  I can
still hear various family members saying over and over the Spanish word for
eat, pronounced co may.

I hope you and Guchi have a great time in our very warm but wonderful state!

Sherrill