[nagdu] Shepherds and the ocean

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 29 12:28:25 UTC 2009

Wayne,
    Greetings from the sunchine State, although the sunshine has been of the
liquid sorts, of late! First of all, I wanted to find out where in our
beutiful state you will be staying! If somewhere near us, we wouldn't mind
connecting!
    As for your question about German Shepherds affinity to the water, as a
afficionado of that breed, all I can say is "It depends!" My current pup
tolerates the water, at best! I can coax her in and she seems to enjoy the
swim while in - or perhaps her enjoyment is in the failure to drown - but as
soon as I stop the coaxing, she is out of there! On the other hand, I had a
Shepherd that would literally body surf! I once lived on an island in the
West Palm Beach area where I was on the Intracoastal Waterway and two blocks
from the Atlantic. My dog, Mike, and I spent a lot of time on the beach. He
was playing in the surf one day when a larger than usual wave came toward
him. As he turned to flee the large wall of water toward the beach, the wave
picked him up and brought him to the shore! He turned and looked at me with
this startled look on his face as if to say, "What the heck was that all
about?", then turned back to the Atlantic to give it another try! He would
paddle around offshore until he found a wave to bring him in! I think I have
pictures around here of Mike body surfing!
    I hope you enjoy your stay in our fine State! Bring lots of sun screen!
I personally recommend Coppertone Sport SPF 45! The temps are currently lows
of mid-70s and highs in the mid-90s. We are getting showers nearly every
day, but they generally only last for an hour or so! Have a blast!

Fraternally yours,
Marion