[nagdu] ot: gas stoves

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Tue Jun 2 17:04:36 UTC 2009

I had to laugh about choices for cooking and burning mitts.

When my husband and I were dating I invited him for dinner. I was merrily
cooking egg rolls on top of the gas stove and my then date was watching but
not interfering. Apparently I was a little distracted because I didn't think
about the hot oil when I placed an egg roll in the hot oil and stuck my
fingers into the e oil as I placed the egg rolls there. Needless to say I
burned my fingers. My date said calmly "could I help?" He knew me well
enough by then to know that I am very independent but still know that
everyone could use a little help once and a while. Besides, that hurt! The
other thing that he commented on in the kitchen was, and this was after
marriage, that the toasting oven I was using didn't seem to be the best
choice for cooking lamb chops as the flames shooting up through the slots in
the top had a blackening effect on the wall above it. I didn't have anything
on fire, but I did use alternative ways for cooking meats after that.
I do, prefer gas to electric as it is easier to adjust the heat and the
burner is immediately hot when you turn it on, but it's a personal
preference. I have to say Brian that I am always touching my arm on the side
of the oven and burning myself instead of the mitt. It only takes a little
touch to do that, and it's not a blindness issue, it's a thinking and moving
too quickly issue.