[nagdu] transportation

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 19:20:48 UTC 2009

Dar,

In my early days, in Bend, where drivers rule, there were a few people who
would give rides who would give me all sorts of flack about my cane and
other potential blindness-related damage I might cause their precious cars.
At the time, I could afford cabs for the most part, if not easily because
they were way more expensive there than here.  I did pay a driver/shopper
for a while, until she started arguing with me over where to go and what to
buy and threatening to leave me if I didn't do as she said.  Okay...  I just
so don't get that one.

My ex was one of the worst offenders, but then he would throw absolute hissy
fits over my spending money on a cab instead of getting a ride from him or
whoever he believed I should just demand rides from willy nilly.  It was
good of him to volunteer them, wasn't it?

So, now he's my ex-husband.  And I stopped taking rides from the "mind or I
will leave you here" driver.  But then I did have the option of paying for
cabs, if I was willing to sacrifice other things I needed that money for.
After VR, I was too ill to take the bus and would have had to starve to take
cabs, so that was a real problem.  There's nothing for it but to stay home,
except for medical appointments to try to get better.  I was even too sick
for the paratransit at first, so it would sort of undo all the treatment I
couldn't afford, either.

Not helpful, but I do understand being in a transportation trap.  Back in
Bend, I did argue extensively with the two drivers in question, and even
tried various levels of incivility when more acceptable means of conflict
resolution failed.  I got tired of hearing myself talk to people that way
for no apparent reason, so simply had to find other solutions and make some
pretty drastic life changes -- like moving to a city with public
transportation -- so that I wouldn't have to put up with that sort of thing.

Not everyone can or should do that, and I do think you should argue and
debate and quote scripture (since it's a church setting) and find a nice
brick wall to beat your head against because that does more good.  /grim
smile/  Seriously, I never could figure out how to change the mindset of the
people causing the same sort of problem in my life beyond phasing them out
of my life, because who needs it?  But in a smaller city, you may not have
the option of just up and going to another church to worship, and cabs are
more expensive than in cities, and fewer means of offsetting that expense
exist...

Keep up the fight, but don't let it take too much out of you.  Good luck!

Tami Smith-Kinney