[nagdu] More information on Taco Bell incident

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 18:31:11 UTC 2009

HI folks,

My two cents worth here. I agree with much of what has been said regarding
the type of equipment or the breed of the dog not being the determining
factor. I also cherish my rights of access in public places. however, having
read the newspaper articles and thought about it a bit, I have this to say,
which may stir up some controversy. With every right comes responsibility.
That includes proper care and training of your particular service animal.
These are highly trained animals guiding us out here folks. We have an
obligation to respect that training and to respect those animals by keeping
them trained and expecting them to behave in a particular manner. We, too,
have a responsibility to conduct ourselves appropriately giving respect to
the public, the proprietors of the places of business and to the bus drivers
etc. There's a huge difference between being assertive and being aggressive.
The difference is subtle in it's approach to the person, but huge in its
impact. Remember folks, we all have bad days, including the proprietors of a
business. I have been told that I have learned to be more diplomatic in my
approach with people as I have aged and it has made a huge difference in
other's attitudes toward me. I know that I have a right to be there. I know
that my dog is properly groomed and I work to ensure that she behaves
appropriately. I don't need to take it personally when a comment is made or
a question raised. That doesn't mean that I lay down on the floor and kiss
their feet and apologize for having arrived with my dog to eat, shop,
receive medical attention or whatever in their establishment. If I walk in
with confidence and use diplomacy I am received and treated differently than
when I arrive in a huff ready to take on the world. It's easy to see a
situation and side with one party over the other, but things are seldom
black or white.

Sorry folks, that more like a quarter's worth. I'm sure that I'll get
change.

In friendship,

Joy with yellow lab Belle who thinks that it's all too much work to worry
about on a hot sunny day.