[nagdu] Update on David Anspach

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 10 19:46:13 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    Merry and I are back home after a few days away to be with Tammy and
Dave. We continue to ask for healing thoughts and prayers for both Dave and
Tammy. For those of you who do not know Dave well, David Anspach is employed
at Freedom scientific, where he is a trainer. Dave is also the President of
the Pinellas (St. Petersburg/Clearwater/Largo/Pinellas Park) Chapter of the
NFB of Florida and serves as the Treasurer of the Florida Association of
Guide Dog Users.
    Dave's current challenges are all related to his diabetes. From what I
understand, Dave's blood sugar levels soared over the weekend. the high
blood sugar levels created a great deal of stress to his system, causing his
kidneys to shut down and his heart issues. Dave's heart stopped on his way
to the hospital and the doctors are unsure how long he was without oxygen.
The anoxia may have caused his coma.
    Dave is currently in a coma and breathing with a ventilator. The
ventilator is set to 14 breaths per minute, but is showing as many as 22
breaths per minute. His nurse says this is a sign that he is breathing
against the ventilator, and encouraging sign. Furthermore, Dave has a fever
and is sweating, further signs that there is enough brain activity to
attempt to keep his body functions regulated. Dave was also having several
seizures per minute and the neurologist has given him medication to control
the seizures.
    Yesterday, the Neurologist, in typical "Doc speak", said there were good
signs and bad signs". I understand why the family didn't get more
information on what the "good and bad signs" were, since they were happy to
get some good news when they previously had thought they were going to need
to make the decision to take him off of life support. Now that they are
thinking more clearly, we may know more about the positive and negative
signs found by the Neurologist.
    Dave is also getting dialized regularly, since his kidneys are not
functioning. His blood pressure seemed normal yesterday (about 140/70) but
his heart rate was rather high, in the 90s.
    Again, please keep Dave and Tammy Anspach in your thoughts and prayers.
I will keep you updated as I get more information and permission from the
family.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala