[nagdu] [GDUI-Friends] when is a guide not a guide

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jun 14 02:18:31 UTC 2009

It really pushes my buttons when insurance companies get to decide what a person can or cannot do in this country!  Last I heard, it was Congress which legislates in the USA.

I have certainly had run-ins with insurance companies before. like when I want to go horseback riding at a place, and they tell me that I have to be on a lead rope, or I can't ride at all, or I have to sign a different release form--all because I am a member of a minority, a person with a disability.  It's no different, in my opinion, and perhaps even worse, than when the restaurant tells someone they can't enter the restaurant with a guide dog because the Health Department won't allow it, or when a taxi driver tells someone he can't take them in his cab because his religion says dogs are unclean.  As far as I know, it is Congress that sets Civil Rights policy in this country, and all these other "authorities are just talking through their hats.

I hope the legal minds on this list can clarify this point.

Best,
Ann