[nagdu] Do's and Don't's

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 18:53:15 UTC 2009

Rox,

I agree about there being no global rules and that things like sleeping on
the bed have no impact on the dog's work in many cases.

But not every guide dog user has long experience with dogs and the knowledge
of how to communicate with them without those "rules" to establish
boundaries and hierarchy.  Or how to "read" their dog to determine how much
they can get away with and where to draw the line.  Then the rules are key,
because that is how the handler knows how to communicate the limits to the
dog, and that is how the dog is trained to understand the limits and its
role with the handler.  If that makes sense.  /smile/

Honestly, I can't predict exactly what I would do if I came home with a
shiny new program dog.  But it would make sense to start out with the rules
the dog knew until it was settled inan comfortable and until we were
communicating well.  Then I would almost certainly start bringing more
flexibility into the relationship.  Sorry, I like my dog to snuggle in bed
and on the couch.  I like being able to put down food and go off to do my
thing without having to time how long I leave the bowl down.  I like being
able to let my dog run in the park and on the trails without having to fuss
with the leash all the time.  Although with a program dog, I would be a lot
less free in that regard.  First of all, a number of people will have put an
awful lot of time, energy and money into providing me with that dog, and it
would be ungrateful in the extreme to be careless with it.  Also, it would
not be trained for off leash obedience since puppyhood.  So I would begin
trianing offleash obedience in safe areas, but I would be much, much more
cautious about letting it run in a number of places where I do Mitzi.

It is an interesting discussion.  I like hearing how various people handle
similar situations and what the results are.  I always learn something.

Tami Smith-Kinney