[nagdu] question

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 19:06:20 UTC 2009

Lisa,

Both of our dogs are allowed in the kitchen, but they know better than to
counter surf.  Which doesn't mean they don't try every now and then, just to
see if they can get away with it.  /smile/  Neither is a lab, though, so
things might be different if they were.

Daisy prefers to lay just outside the kitchen door to watch the chef, and he
strongly encourages her to be there.  With her missing front leg, she's not
as agile as she could be.  She also prefers to lie down and stay there and
leave it up to everybody to step over her.  After 10 months, she has finally
decided it pays off to get out of my way, but I still step on her or trip
over her every now and then.  /smile/

Mitzi likes to "heel" the chef, studying every move intently.  Daisy's Dad
(the chef), tends to talk while he cooks, so I'm pretty sure she's now a
much better chef than I will ever be.  It is very funny to watch him dance
his kitchen dance with his black shadow following his every move.  Cracks me
up.

Good luck with your lab!  I see a lot of people have already offered very
good suggestions.  I think when Mitzi was young, I would just include
pushing her down as part of my cooking routine, until she finally started
obeying the "off" command.  And learned how to be stealthy and silent if she
really wanted to get away with something.  It was a big shock to her living
with another human who can see her getting into trouble.  Then she thought
it was funny to test him and see if he would bust her.  Silly dog!

Tami Smith-Kinney