[nagdu] question

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Jun 19 16:10:26 UTC 2009

Hi Lisa,
Keep the dog out of the kitchen when food is being prepared.  Landon is
allowed in the kitchen for eating his meals or getting a drink of water, or
if I invite him in for another reason.  I feed Landon before I start
cooking. That way he is happy and full and is ready for a nap while I
prepare our meals.

No matter how good your dog's kitchen manners are, it is dangerous to allow
a dog to stand around in the kitchen while you are cooking. You could be so
involved in your cooking, turn around with a hot container of food, trip on
the dog and burn both yourself and the dog.  This goes for cats as well.

When I was growing up and we were cooking, we stepped on cats COUNTLESS
number of times. And we got startled with the loud YYYEEEEOOOOWWW that came
from the stepped-on cat.  And, I almost spilled something hot!

Keeping temptations put away off of tables and counters is the best idea to
discourage "counter surfing".

Lisa, if your dog likes to watch you in the kitchen and your kitchen is big
enough, put a mat in there and do the "Go to your place" command and "Rest!"
so your dog will lie quietly out of the way and you both remain safe.  I
can't do this with the tiny kitchens in apartments! (grin!)

HTH.

Linda and Landon