[nagdu] family arguments about the dog

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 03:09:45 UTC 2009

Hi Allison,

First, I don't think you can be overly anal in this situation. If you're not
comfortable with the way someone is interacting with your dog, that's that.

As for your brother's question about "the harm" in giving Gilbert treats,
I'd say something like, "You know that guide dogs are allowed in
restaurants, right?" When he agrees, I'd point out that this is partly
because they are well-behaved and do not beg for food. They do not expect to
be fed at the same time the humans are being fed. If Gilbert thinks he
should get to eat every time you get to eat, this could pose real problems
for you in some public settings. I'd also remind him that if you know
everything that goes in, you'll know what to expect to come out later. LOL.
This is important because you need to avoid the possibility that Gilbert
could unexpectedly need to relieve at an inconvenient time.

Finally, do you think you could email him about this situation before his
next visit? Would he be receptive to that? You could then clearly explain
everything before your emotions run high.

I have had similar discussions with family members, but they have always
respected my decisions about treats. I do remember at first, though, that
some people in my family would really argue about it with me. My mom in
particular would say things like, "Angie, that dog is working, and what if
her blood sugar drops too low while she is working? What if she can't
concentrate? You don't feed her enough!" Then, I heard her saying something
similar to my sister, who has two small children. (I don't remember exactly
*what* she said to my sister--it clearly didn't have anything to do with the
kids working or not being able to concentrate, but it was in the same
spirit.) I just figured that my mom, at any rate, treats my dogs the way she
treats her human grandchildren. LOL!

But in all seriousness, I do understand how frustrating it can be when
people question your judgment concerning your dogs. I have been lucky in
that no one in my family has ever directly opposed me and given treats when
I have asked them not to.

Angie