[nagdu] family arguments about the dog

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat Jun 20 05:24:03 UTC 2009

Hi Allison,
I think I would either talk to on the phone or e-mail your brother shortly
before you expect he will be home.  I would tell him, in a calm way, that it
really hurts you that he insists on being disrespectful to your wishes
regarding Gilbert. It hurts you to have to have your visit with him marred
by a fight at the table over feeding your dog.  Explain to him the harm it
is for him to try to feed your dog stuff from the dinner table. Ask him how
he would feel being in a nice restaurant with his girl, enjoying a nice
romantic meal and - along comes a guide dog and it swipes something from his
plate as it walks by his table.

Explain to him that you can't treat a guide dog like a housepet because
Gilbert has to have impeccible manners while out in public.  You have to
control what goes in the dog so you can be aware of what must come out and
when.  Gilbert is there to assist you. He can't be snarfing stuff everywhere
and you can't see what he's gotten into or what people slip to him.

I would also enlist the help of, maybe your father. Your Dad and brother can
have a man to man chat outside - before the meal. Hopefully this can help.

Now, this pisses me off, but I find that lots of sighted people listen to
other sighted people before they listen to a blind person.  Get your parents
help in this - the fighting must bother them and it must be disturbing their
meal as well.

HTH - I guess I'm lucky, my family doesn't like dogs in the kitchen or at
the table while preparing or eating meals.  I put Landon out of the way
where he can still see me.  There's no room around our family tables for
Landon to lie under the table or my chair. This arrangement works out fine
for all of us. At restaurants with the family, Landon is perfect and under
our table or my chair! (grin!)

Linda and Landon