[nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

Meghan Whalen meghan at n-republic.net
Sat Jun 20 12:07:17 UTC 2009

One of the first things I teach my dogs when they come home is offleash
recall.  You never know when your dog will slip out the door, you'll drop
the leash/harness or who knows what else.  I trust my dogs offleash in my
back yard.  No my yard is not fenced.  I stay out there with them, and they
know their boundaries.  I have a 20 ft training lead, and we start with
that.  When they willingly recall on that in one area, then we progress to
offleash.  All dogs from the school I attend come home knowing come, but
they really are only taught on leash.  I don't find come on leash to be a
terribly impressive skill, honestly.  You can get any dog that is onleash to
come.  After the two weeks of onleash time are up when we first return home,
I keep treats with me and call my dog at random throughout the day.  At
first, whenever she comes, she gets a treat.  As time progresses, she gets
that treat less and less often, and in time, she reliably comes to me.

This is how I do it, and I don't want any lectures.  There is a common
saying among dog trainers, and I think it carries over to dog handlers.

About the only thing that four dog trainers will agree on is that the fifth
one is doing it wrong.

Take care,
Meghan