[nagdu] ID cards for sale online

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 16:33:35 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I have been using guide dogs sinse 1973 and I can think of only a handful of
times I've been asked to show my school ID - and these times were all in the
1970s way before the ADA!

So, all my IDs from the schools just sit there in my wallet and then get
moved to a photo album when the dog retires! (grin!)

I think with 80 years of guide dogs, people just think "dog = blind".  This
is more of a problem with partials who can see pretty good. It is much more
of a problem for a visually impaired person in a wheelchair.  People don't
see as many of these folks. I come across tons of people in wheelchairs on
the busses, trolleys, and on the streets of San Diego.  NONE of them have a
service dog!  Disabled people using service dogs is much newer in concept
(1972 with CCI) than guide dogs. Disabled people have to go through what
Morris Frank went through (groan!) which, I think, shouldn't be happening.
Then you add in the mix those who look perfectly able bodied who have dogs.
And the fakers!  I'm sorry that all you guys are going through lots of
troubles with access. You'd think people should be used to us all with dogs
and the laws that are there to protect us.

I think if the folks who make themselves stick out by bringing an untrained
or unsuitable dog into public  - real service dog or not, real disabled
person or not - just invite problems. And cause problems for everyone else
with real service dogs.

A long time ago, before I got my first guide dog, I brought a pet dog on the
train into another state. I made a harness and walked with the dog with my
white cane!  Nobody said "boo" about it. Everyone just assumed that it was a
real guide dog.  How did I pull this off?  This dog was very well behaved,
learned how to ride under the seat like wwe do with our guide dogs - and he
sorta guided me! He would watch my roommate's guide dog and imitated it!
This dog was a black Lab mix and very smart. He loved to ride the subway!
Back then all leashed dogs were welcome on the transit system as long as
they didn't cause problems.

This dog's undoing was being off leash.  After I gave him to my family when
I went for a guide dog, he got loose, ran out in the street and got himself
killed. A real plug for off leash training!  Had he had this and had I known
how to train for it, he would have lived a nice long doggy life.

Cheers,

Linda and Landon