[nagdu] O&M, Ownership, & Leader

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:35:38 UTC 2009

My first dog came from a school that didn't charge a fee. I paid $150 for Yani at The Seeing Eye. I wouldn't say that I felt "more invested" in this partnership, per se; but I did feel really proud when I was able to contribute that amount towrad Yani's training. It was significant to me that The Seeing Eye expected me to contribute toward the cost of my training. The school didn't ask how I planned to come up with the money; they just took my check and gave me a dog. (grin)

Re: the amount by which TSE should increase this fee: I think looking at the CPI isn't sufficient for determining what the "appropriate" fee should be. The question is, are blind people sufficiently better off now than they were back then? In other words, has the over-all income of the blind population increased at the same rate as the income of everyone else? Without knowing this, we can't really conclude that tSE grads have it lots easier today than they did in the past. Programs like SSI didn't exist when TSE was founded. And $150 still represents a significant amount for someone whose only income is SSI.

Angie

Sent from my Nokia N82.