[nagdu] Returning a dog via crate

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Mar 5 15:38:00 UTC 2009

Last time I shipped a dog, in 1986, the airport supplied the crate.  I
just contacted them, and all I had to do was bring her and put her in (and
pay the ticket).
Right, all I had to do was put her in the crate.  Physically very easy,
but emotionally very hard, even though I was sending her to my parents for
a well-earned retirement and I knew she'd be happy.

I warn you though that dogs have been lost or killed while being shipped
by the airlines.  Somehow, they let my dog escape at a transfer point, and
she was running loose around the cargo hold.  Not good.  And I get the
impression they've gotten more careless in recent years.  Also, there are
regulations about how cold it can be when a dog is shipped.  Under a
certain temperature, and they won't send her.
If it were me, and I had the option, I'd just hang on to the dog and bring
it with me when I went back. Put on her harness; watch out for her known
problems, and there you are.
Tracy