[nagdu] Returning a dog via crate

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:15:49 UTC 2009

I agree with Tracy. It doesn't sound like a good idea to send a dog
alone in a crate like that. Why can't she be kept as a pet until you
get your next dog? After all some pet dogs are well behaved. Just
because some pet owners spoil their dogs doesn't mean that ALL pet
dogs are like that. When my first guide dog Bruce became my dad's pet
he didn't change at all.

Helene.

On 05/03/2009, Tracy Carcione <carcione at access.net> wrote:
> Last time I shipped a dog, in 1986, the airport supplied the crate.  I
> just contacted them, and all I had to do was bring her and put her in (and
> pay the ticket).
> Right, all I had to do was put her in the crate.  Physically very easy,
> but emotionally very hard, even though I was sending her to my parents for
> a well-earned retirement and I knew she'd be happy.
>
> I warn you though that dogs have been lost or killed while being shipped
> by the airlines.  Somehow, they let my dog escape at a transfer point, and
> she was running loose around the cargo hold.  Not good.  And I get the
> impression they've gotten more careless in recent years.  Also, there are
> regulations about how cold it can be when a dog is shipped.  Under a
> certain temperature, and they won't send her.
> If it were me, and I had the option, I'd just hang on to the dog and bring
> it with me when I went back. Put on her harness; watch out for her known
> problems, and there you are.
> Tracy
>
>> Nope I am going to call them. I wanted to make sure it was ok with my
>> driver
>> before I told LD to send the crate.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Jenine Stanley <jeninems at wowway.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Laura,
>>>
>>> Has Leader given you any direction as to which airline they prefer or
>>> how
>>> pay for this?
>>>
>>> I have sent a dog back once via crate. Though the airline could not have
>>> been more kind and appropriate, it was a harrowing experience, in part
>>> due
>>> to a snow storm that closed LaGuardia, delaying her departure.
>>>
>>> In that case, the school set everything up and I simply had to take her
>>> the airport.
>>>
>>> Depending on the airline, you may have to purchase a travel crate. These
>>> ran, if I bought it from the airline, as I did at the time, around $80
>>> in
>>> 1994. I can't imagine what they'd run now. I think I would talk with