[nagdu] Animal Advocate Calls Blind Guide Dog Users Cruel &unfi

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Mar 8 23:41:05 UTC 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 7:29 PM, helene ryles wrote:

> I don't like this parting quote:
>
> "I hope you never go blind and need a dog."

I quite agree. Apart from my issue with the "needing" a dog, it sounds
a bit like a curse. After all, is blindness that bad? Sure, it's a
right royal pain in the ass sometimes, and I'm sure it would be hard
to adjust to after not being blind, but such a statement only
perpetuates the stereotypes that we already struggle with; that
blindness is necessarily a terrible, horrible fate, and you'd never
wish such a tragedy on anyone. No, of course I don't wish for people
to go blind, but I don't really wish for people to go sighted or deaf
or short, either. If we really believe that blindness is respectable,
and indeed if we want others to believe this as well, I think we'd do
well to be mindful of how we ourselves discuss blindness. Furthering
our cause might be better accomplished if we don't give people reason
to strengthen their already well entrenched negative attitudes.