[nagdu] Drop-offs

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:37:14 UTC 2009

Hi Jenine,

GDB still did dropoffs when I went there. Glazie and I messed up the very end of ours. At one point, I did get lost, and our class supervisor felt sorry for me. He came up to me and pretended to be someone who could only speak minimal English, so I could ask him for directions. Later, I told him I did indeed know who he was at the time. Grin.

Seeing Eye wasn't doing dropoffs when I was there. I wonder if this will change, now that the new lounge is open.It would not have been fun to do one in January, when your destination was a van. Well, I mean to say that it would not be fun to be *waiting* in the van while other students were dropped off.

Even though I messed up my dropoff, I'll say that at GDB San Rafael, it's *relatively* easy because of the layout of the streets. I think the location of teh downtown lounge, and the fact that the streets were on a letter-number grid, meant that the instructors expected us to know more about San Rafael. We did solos at TSE, and we had to know those. But since training didn't have a central base in town (there was a lounge there, but it was hardly used at all), I don't think it would have been as practical to do dropoffs. I don't mean to suggest that TSE required less in terms of mobility; it was just assessed differently.

I think that class structure also contributes to the greater practicality of dropoffs at GDB. When I was there, all students and instructors did many more things together as a group. At TSE, most trips involve one instructor and his or her students.

Obviously, these are just speculations on my part. I have no idea if any of these factors entered into either school's decision to do dropoffs or not.

Interesting about your Pilot experience. Given that we are constantly told not to let the dog take the lead and choose where to go, it seems like that might not happen as much today. But it does sound like a trust-building exercise.

As far as my own feelings go...I could take or leave a dropoff. I know what to do if I get lost, so I don't feel like I need practice in that area. (grin) But if TSE institutes them, I'll play along.

Angie

Sent from my Nokia N82.