[nagdu] Tenant Rights

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 05:21:48 UTC 2009

Heather,

Yikes!  I have nothing useful to offer on the legal or even practical end,
but I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  Here in Oregon,
landlords can't get away with discrimation on the front end like that, but I
did learn the hard way that they can (and will!) go outside the law in
making one's life miserable if they didn't really want you in the first
place.  Well, the management company of the apartment complex where I
learned these lessons is just nasty to tenants to begin with, and most of
their managers are awful in ways that are specifically designated against in
the law.  So while trying to deal with the grief from my apartment manager,
I talked to a higher up in the country and he's a (expletive deleted; insert
profanity here).  I ended up only kinda sorta winning in court (it was very
confusing, for my eog, at least), and finally moved to what I thought would
be a really much inferior existence only it worked out really well in the
end.  Isn't life just weird that way?

Anyway, I have had a really hard time not being disgusted with myself for
not fighting harder and better and longer at the time, but I just had
nothing left and needed to take care of me and all that stuff.  Ugh!  But I
learned some hard, yet important lessons there.  Also, I got some idea of
how to distinguish between actual discrimination (which was happening) vs.
just plain equal-opportunity obnoxiousness (which was also happening).
Again:  Ugh!

Still, I empathize with your frustration, and it sounds like you're facing a
really ugly housing market, as I was when I moved in there and more so when
I was looking to move out.  It's very scary, and I wish you well in finding
a place that's right for you.

Good luck with the legal end, too, if you do have a case against this woman.
As someone mentioned, here there is a difference between a duplex and a
larger apartment complex.  So she would be legal here, whether or not she's
just a rotten person.  /smile/  B.C. could be different.

Let us know how it goes!

Tami Smith-Kinney