[nagdu] on the radio yesterday

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Mar 20 11:24:04 UTC 2009

On the NPR program "Fresh Air" yesterday, the host talked to a vet about
her new book "Speaking for Spot"  I think the author's name is Nancy Kay.
The book gives people advice about how to make medical decisions for a
pet.  On the interview, she talked about chemo, pain management, how to
decide when it's time to put a pet to sleep, and ways to make that process
the least distressing for the animal.  It was very interesting.  Did you
know they're using stem cell therapy in dogs to combat arthritis?  They
take some fat cells from the dog, send them to a company that makes them
regenerative in some way, then put them back in the dog, where they go and
start fixing the joints.
Oh, she also talked about costs, and pet insurance.
Anyway, I'm sure there's a podcast of the interview out there, though I
forget the website.  And perhaps some Bookshare volunteer will scan the
book.
Tracy