[nagdu] Leaving our dogs in hotel rooms?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Mar 20 17:10:38 UTC 2009

Hi Chasity.
You know this concert routine well, and you know your dog.  So ask
yourself these things:
How long do you usually spend at the concert?  Do you go out with other
people afterwards, say, to have a drink and talk about your favorite star?
 Are you apt to stay out half the night, or the whole night?
How does your dog do alone?  Does she get upset?  Does she bark, or chew,
or do other undesirable things?

You might do well to try leaving her alone a bit beforehand, and see what
happens.  Sneak off down the hall, or ask someone reliable who'll be
around to tell you if she barked when you were gone.
Also, she will be in an unfamiliar place in the hotel, with unfamiliar
noises around.  She might get nervous, or she might not care.  I think
that's why people say not to leave the dog for a real long time.  It's not
just that she might need to go out.  It's also that the longer you're
gone, the more likely it may be that she'll get anxious or bored, and
start doing things you wish she wouldn't.

I've left my dog alone in the hotel while I went to a nearby beach for a
couple hours, but I knew I wouldn't be there all that long, and I know my
dog just curls up and goes to sleep, any time, anywhere.
Remember, if your dog tears up the hotel room, you pay for it.  (You too
could trash a hotel, just like a rock star.  But without his budget for
it.)
HTH.
Tracy