[nagdu] Does seeing-eye horse go too far?

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Wed Mar 25 22:04:34 UTC 2009

Riding a Seeing Eye horse is an interesting concept, but I admit
I am skeptical too.  For one thing, I have heard horses can not
be house-trained.  How does she know the horses isn't relieving
itself as it walks through the store? Also, a horse's natural
instict is to kick anyone if they are standing behind them.
Couldn't this pose a danger to the community?
Does anyone know any more details about ferrets as service
animals? I am kind of skeptical that rodents could be capable or
trainable to be service animals.  I guess it's interesting that
people are discovering more nontraditional service animals.  But
I do think that the disabled community needs to make sure people
don't go too far.  Otherwise the public could lose patience with
us, and outlaw any animals, which would be a devastating
regression of our society, since dogs have provided so many
people, myself included, with life-changing independence.
Allison and Gilbert

resource.

>Craig

>http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/w
faa0903
>24_wz_serviceanimalsfolo.67c58be1.html

>3/20:

>Does seeing-eye horse go too far?

>LINK:

>ABC News story on this topic

>LINK:

>Rules for service animals

>LINK:

>Service animals Q&A

>LINK:

>Guide Horse Foundation

>LINK:

>Pony Talez Equine Services

>LINK:

>National Association of Guide Dog Users

>MORE:

>Stories about animals and pets

>list end

>Search Video:

>images/searchbtn

>FORT WORTH - What's a horse doing in the dairy aisle at Target?

>Last week we reported on an expanding list of service animals for
the
>disabled, including ferrets, monkeys and horses.  The story has
ignited a
>controversy

>among some in the disabled community who say using a horse to get
around
>in a grocery store goes too far.

>Trixie the seeing-eye pony knows Target like the back of her
slip-proof
>pink boots.  "She means the world to me," said Tabitha Darling,
Trixie's
>owner.  "Not

>just a working animal, but - well - my friend."

>Darling is legally blind, with a bone condition that she says can
make
>walking painful.

>The Americans with Disabilities Act makes it illegal for stores
>refuse entry to a service animal.  But while Tabitha says Trixie
is
>critical to her independence,

>she is now drawing fire from some, accused of abusing the system.

>"She doesn't need to be riding it around like Lady Godiva in a
store,"
>said Carolyn Finefrock, who has far less vision than Darling and
uses a
>more traditional

>seeing-eye dog and a wheelchair for mobility.  Finefrock thinks
licensing
>service animal users would eliminate abuse.

>"What about people who really can't walk? What about people who
really
>can't see?" she asked.

>Lex Frieden, a professor at the University of Texas Health
Science
>Center in Houston, helped develop the Americans with Disabilities
Act.
>What does he think

>of going shopping with a horse?

>"There are other solutions besides that one that are more
functional and
>more appropriate for her," Frieden said.  "But consider this:
It's her
>choice."

>Frieden has been using a wheelchair since he was injured in a car
>accident when he was a college student.  He favors a case-by-case
review
>of a person's

>disability.  Any blanket solution, he says, is a step in the
wrong
>direction.

>"We actually stop innovation; we stop discovery; and we actually
provide
>a cap on what's possible," he said.  "Who knows what's possible
in the
>future?"

>Tabitha Darling says she is often asked why she insists on riding
>horse inside a store when there are other options.  Her answer?

>It's what works best for her.

>E-mail

>dschechter at wfaa.com

>Craig Borne, Esq.

>External Compliance Program Manager

>Disability Program Manager

>National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

>Office of Civil Rights

>1200 New Jersey Avenue, Southeast

>Suite W43-321

>Washington, DC 20590

>Office : (202) 493-0627

>Fax: (202) 493-2990

>Email: craig.borne at dot.gov <mailto:craig.borne at dot.gov

>The information contained in this communication (including any
>attachments) may be confidential and legally privileged.  This
email may
>not serve as a contractual agreement unless explicit written
agreement
>for this purpose has been made.  If you are not the intended
recipient,
>you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying
>of this communication or any of its contents is strictly
prohibited.  If