[nagdu] TSE and Guiding Eyes comparison

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sat May 16 20:54:57 UTC 2009

Hi Marion,

Maybe it's not on their site after all. Here is the pertinent part of the
GDUI school survey:

POST-TRAINING POLICIES

1.         Upon completion of training with your program: (please select
one.)

       The school retains some form of ownership of the dog.

       The graduate owns the dog.

       The school retains ownership of the dog, but a graduate may apply for
ownership after a specified period of successful partnership with the dog.
Please indicate this amount of required time here.    2 years       checked

2.         Your program's response to cases of proven abuse would be best
represented as:

       The school retains the right to remove a dog from a graduate's home
in cases of proven abuse.    checked

       The school works with Animal Control or other appropriate agencies

to remove a dog in cases of proven abuse.

       The school expects that civil authorities will deal directly with the
handler to resolve situations of proven dog-abuse.

3.         The school retains the right to remove a dog from a graduate in
cases where (mark any that apply):

       The training staff deems the working team to be unsafe.    checked

       The school determines the handler's home environment to be unsafe.
checked

       Once a dog is issued, the school does not involve itself in
attempting to remove a dog under any circumstances.

4.         The program's policy concerning guide-related equipment is
(please mark all that apply):

       The graduate owns the dog's work-related equipment upon graduation.

       The school retains ownership of the dog's work-related equipment.

       The school reserves the right to remove the harness in cases where

the training staff deems the team to be unsafe.    checked

       The school requests that the harness be returned to them upon
retirement of the guide.    checked

5.         If replacement equipment is needed by a graduate of your program:
(Indicate any that apply.)

       The graduate will be referred to vendors from which they can purchase
the needed equipment.

       The school provides replacement equipment free of charge to its
graduates.    checked

6.         The school's policy regarding veterinary costs related to the
dogs they provide is (please mark any that apply):

       Graduates are offered an annual stipend for veterinary care

throughout the working career of the dog.    checked

       Graduates who keep their retired guides are offered an annual
veterinary care stipend to use throughout that dog's entire life.

       The school covers the cost of veterinary care for a specified period
of time. *Indicate this amount of time here: (     )

       Heartworm and flea and tick preventative medications are offered to
graduates free of charge (or the cost is reimbursed).

       Heartworm and flea and tick preventative medications are offered to
graduates

at reduced cost.    checked

       The dog's food is offered to graduates at reduced cost through the
school.

       The school offers loans or grants to assist graduates with vet costs
if need be.

       The school assists graduates experiencing financial difficulties in
finding organizations that might offer them funding for veterinary costs.
checked