[nagdu] racism

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue May 19 22:04:13 UTC 2009

I think besides considering time, we also have to consider that just because
there is a written policy doesn't mean that individual staff members always
follow it. It's possible this lady picked up on whoever interviewed her or
dealt with her somewhere along the way and whether anything was openly
stated or not, and I'm sure it wasn't having to do with race, she knew what
the motivating factor was and for whom.

It's so hard to believe from today's perspective, but back in the '50's, it
probably wasn't at all uncommon and I'm sure some staff at all of the
schools made their prejudices known ever so subtly.

It's funny because I've heard people say the same thing about having too
much vision as being a reason for being turned down, even for people who
switched schools.

This too goes to Michael's point about knowing when the situation is
personal and when it's actually flat out discrimination, patronization or
other offensive interactions. We're probably at our most vulnerable, at
least I know I am, when it comes to our dogs and our work with them. When
I'm vulnerable even the nicest things can feel hurtful, judgmental, etc.