[nagdu] discrimination

Laurie Mehta lauriemehta at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 23:36:35 UTC 2009

I was obviously not there in the 1950s when Tracy's friend determined that she was a victim of discrimination.  In fact, I was not present in the 1950s at all. /smile/

But, I believe the friend.

I can say, from personal experiences, that discrimination can, in fact, happen and it can happen without it being a company's policy, or even without the person doing the discriminating realizing it.

Yes, any of us can be overly sensitive to situations that don't turn out in the way that we hope they will.  This is true of us, as blind people, as well as for those of us with other attributes that might become the
target of discrimination.
But, having acknowledged this fact, it is still true that people do discriminate and it is usually done in ways such that they get away with it.

We ought to respect the ability of others to assess the experiences that they (not us) have had.  If we happen to be present in a situation (we witness it) where someone claims discrimination but where we did not perceive that to be the case, we ought to ask the person who feels victimized what it was that gave them the impression that they had been a victim of discrimination.  Perhaps there was something that we just are not sensitive to?  Or, perhaps we have more information on the person who allegedly discriminated that could explain their behavior?

Often, it is only after a person witnesses a loved one  or friend being discriminated against, though, that that individual "believes" that it can happen, or that it is true.   Discrimination is generally subtle enough (particularly nowadays) so that the person doing it gets away with it.  The truth is that most folks just do not pay close enough attention to details of what's going on to notice and potentially intervene.

Ask, for example, anyone who is sighted and who is close with a blind person if they believe thatt blind people are sometimes discriminated against.  Then ask the average Joe the same question.  It's likely that the response will be different.   /smile/

Ways that a guide dog program representative could make someone feel discriminated against, subtly, are:
asking questions about the person's lifestyle that seem unrelated to guide dog handling
asking questions (making assumptions) about the person's home-environment that the person perceives not to be likely for other applicants
comments or jokes made that reveal insensitivity
body language that makes the applicant uncomfortable (either too much disrespect for personal space, or avoidance of closeness)
and there are a lot more possibilities.

I can understand that anyone would prefer to think that organizations they respect just never discriminate, but all organizations are made up of humans and humans make mistakes.  /smile/

Not being program-specific at all, I'm sure that some types of discrimination occasionally happen (racial, anti-gay, anti-religeous group, etc.) even nowadays in the applicant interviews or in guide dog classes (particularly among classmates).  I am equally sure, though, that all of the guide dog programs would make the situation right if it is brought to their attention.  That's a good thing, imho.  /smile/
-Laurie