[nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

Sarah and Loretta thedogsmom at growingstrong.org
Sat May 23 13:40:49 UTC 2009

Sent to the author:

I just read your article regarding the dog guide that was killed in
Indianapolis. I am wondering why the owner has to pay so much money... Dog
guide schools either provide dogs free or charge a nominal fee (less than
$100). Where is this several thousand dollar figure coming from? I am a dog
guide user living in Anderson and am deeply concerned with the
misinformation this kind of reporting sends to the public. It presents blind
people as much more helpless than we are. We already struggle badly with
needing to be viewed as capable human beings who can function in the
community. A dog guide is a valuable source of travel assistance; but unless
something is wrong with the particular joints needed to travel with a cane,
it is possible to travel independently without one; and getting a dog is not
a tremdous financial burden to the blind person. (Of course, this is made
possible because of donations to the schools, which are extremely valuable.)

Please correct this information!

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org