[nagdu] dog vs. cane

Sarah and Loretta thedogsmom at growingstrong.org
Sat May 23 16:43:23 UTC 2009

In general, I prefer the type of travel that I can accomplish with a dog. It
allows me to concentrate more fully on environmental cues as well as achieve
a more natural sensation in my gait. However, this is a preference and I
have (by choice) gone as long as nine months between dogs.

I haave been working doge for 18 years; and I should also amend this post by
saying that there are circumstances in which a dog does, in fact, provide
independence. In the last few years I have developed rheumatoid-type
arthritis and have damage to the joints in my hands that prevents me from
using a cane for long routes. At this point I can still work with a dog that
has an extremely light pull.If a journalist was writing an article about me
and my use of dogs, I would insist that this be explained. It is a point
where blindness and my medical situation interact and is important to
understand because it does not mean that without a dog a blind person is a
helpless invalid.

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org