[nagdu] keeping your dog cool

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Sun May 24 02:06:09 UTC 2009

Hi Meghan

I'm new to the NAGDU list but saw your post from last week.  I recently went
to AZ with my guide and used a product called Mushers Secret on his feet.
It's a natural wax that is used mostly by mushers for sled dogs in the
winter (works great on the salt roads here in New England) but I use it in
the summer too to prevent burns on James' feet.  I also got him a Cool Coat
from http://www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=3783
This product worked great at reflecting the heat and when I put some water
on it at evaporative cooling to keep James at an ok temp in the 100' heat of
Tucson and it fit just fine under his harness without restricting his
ability to work.  I would definitely recommend both products in hot weather.

Have fun on your trip to CA!

Katrin