[nagdu] Guide Horse, was: Have to Ask

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue May 26 08:41:29 UTC 2009

Hi, Nicole,

I guess that would be me, Ann Edie, and my miniature horse guide, Panda.
Panda has been my guide for almost six years now, since the summer of 2003.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the differences in behavior between
guide dogs and miniature horse guides, but Panda performs all the same guide
tasks as a well-trained guide dog does.  The care of a miniature horse is
generally similar to that of a dog--feeding, grooming, relieving, and
providing exercise, mental stimulation, and companionship.  Some of the
details are different, of course, due to the different species.

As far as access issues are concerned, I have had very few instances of
reluctance on the part of business operators to allow me into their
facilities with my guide horse.  The exception has been one of the major
guide dog training programs and airlines.

The major differences between working with a guide horse and a guide dog--I
worked with 3 guide dogs before getting Panda--from my point of view, are
that I never have to worry about Panda bolting off to chase a cat or other
animal, and that I can expect my partnership with Panda to go on getting
deeper and more wonderful for decades to come.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about working or living
with a guide horse.

Best,
Ann