[nagdu] new

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu May 28 16:08:53 UTC 2009

Katrin,

Welcome!  I'm Tammy, in case you're using JAWS, but I spell it Tami so now
answer to Tommy as well.  /smile/  I'm an owner-trainer, too, working my
first guide, a poodle named Mitzi.  She will turn 3 in just 2 weeks, so is
really just beginning her career now that her  handler (me) seems to have
gotten it together so that we can be a smoothly operating team.

Like James, she is a lot of fun to live with, and she still keeps me really
busy playing soccer and going to the park so she can run.  We went on our
first hike with her working the trails last weekend, and she was fantastic.
It was really fun.  Now I need to learn where we are when we're hiking so I
can give her good direction instead of letting her pick the turns.  /lol/

I'm sorry your puppy had health issues and had to be CC'd.  I don't plan to
have to retired Mitzi for a good many years, but I'm already wondering how
to manage that given the difficulty of finding a replacement to train and
the sheer statistical likelihood a prospect won't work out after all.  Ugh!
So I still watch what people say about the programs and certainly keep that
option in mind.

As for how the schools would look at your condition in evaluating you for
admission, I can't begin to guess.  Functionally and perceptionally, it
makes no difference whether the blindness is in your brain or your eyeballs.
You can see or you can't, and if you can't see, you're blind.  I hope you
can find a program that will see it that way.  Do you have a good
neurologist or ophthamologist who can write a letter explaining your form of
blindness?  Do you know if your condition has enough recognition that you
can provide informational material to help the admissions staff grasp the
issue?

Good luck, and welcome!

Tami Smith-Kinney