[nagdu] college & guide dogs

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Sat May 30 04:58:11 UTC 2009

Hi Katrin
I just finished my freshman year of college, and I also had no
problems.  I received my guide dog through the Occupaws Guide Dog
Association, also an in-home training program where the trainer
came to campus.  When I told campus housing that I would be
coming with a dog, they gave me a private dorm room.  If you are
going to live in campus housing, I would reccomend asking for a
private room because dorm rooms are small, and I found that the
dog supplies take up a surprising amount of space.  Everyone on
campus loves my dog, but you do need to be firm about not
allowing people to distract the dog.  I lost count long ago of
how many students walk by and go "Hi Gilbert!", and there is even
one overenthusiastic student who on one occasion bent down
scratched him behind the ears, and got him all excited and
distracted right as I was trying to walk through a door! But all
in all, college is a wonderful experience, for both dog and
handler.  Good luck!
Allison and Gilbert

I had any