[nagdu] Man's dog in a McDonald's results in Taser use

Sarah and Loretta thedogsmom at growingstrong.org
Sat May 30 18:03:24 UTC 2009

Marion,

I disagree regarding the idea that he was seeking confrontation. This is
really a situation where we as blind people need to understand the mindset
of people with other disabilities. You and I may experience denials from
time to time, but they are stupid denials from people who should know
better. Our dogs wear harnesses, and it is obvious that they perform a
service. Of course, it is reasonable for the police to ask him to step
outside to discuss the situation. But from his point of view, he probably
gets questioned a lot more often than you and I do because you cannot see
seizures. If it was a bad day and he expected the police to be on his side,
he may have interpreted their request as an indicator that they weren't.
Unfortunately their behavior just reinforced it.

People with seizures go through a great deal of mistreatment and
misunderstanding, and it grates on their nerves tremendously. They are
forced into hospitals because other people think that a seizure might be a
medical emergency and do not trust their family members or friends. They are
physically removed from public places and denied employment because seizures
are disruptive. They can develop fear of going out in public because of
this. To then be denied access to a place because one uses a dog to alert to
an oncoming seizure is a further slap in the face. It is something worth
understanding.

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org