[nagdu] Introduction

David Baker davidbaker at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 3 20:46:49 UTC 2009

Hello, list members.  My name is David Baker and I have been lurking for a few
days and wanted to introduce myself.

I live in Atlanta, GA.  I am 69, retired, in good health and spend my time
cooking, gardening and web-surfing.   I have very poor night vision and have
become more insecure lately when in stores and around groups of people.  I have
late onset RP with substantial remaining vision -- just over 10 degrees with
good acuity after cataract surgery.  I have a fairly dominant personality and
find it hard to let go of things, but realize that my vision has ideas other
than those I might wish for.  I am not ready for a guide dog, because I am
concerned that I have too much vision to let a dog lead and my current living
situation is such that I may not get out and about often enough to maintain his
or her training level.  Perhaps I'd get out more with a guide dog, but I'll have
to think on that.  We currently have an 18 month old female 50 pound lab husky
mix who is a real sweetheart.

If no one is offended, I'd appreciate just being able to sit back and listen as
people talk about their guide friends to get a better feel of your/their world
and an idea of what kinds of things I need to be looking at as I get closer to
needing help beyond my cane.

Thanks for listening,  David