[nagdu] Introduction

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Wed Nov 4 13:05:04 UTC 2009

Hi David,

Welcome to the list. Of course, we are not offended if you are on the list
and do not have a dog. How can you decide whether to get one if you don't
check it out. Besides, we are not exclusive.

My name is Joy. I am currently working my fourth Seeing Eye Dog Belle, a
beautiful yellow lab who is almost white she is so light. She has a lot of
personality and I love her very much. We've been working together for six
and-a-half years now. I do not currently work outside the home since I have
been recovering for a medical issue that caused me to stop working and
rebuild many skills lost. I am currently working on getting back into the
work force. I have to get out and work Belle daily but I don't have to walk
major miles to keep her active. I usually walk between 1.5 and four miles a
day plus the work she gets when we shop or go to various activities. I do
know that dogs work best when they are worked. I love the freedom of being
able to walk down the street and focus on the direction that I am going and
the traffic instead of worrying whether I'm walking straight enough, will
trip over something or just not being as tense as I would be with a cane.
Both the cane and the dog are good mobility tools. I think good mobility
skills are essential to traveling whether with a dog or a cane. I have used
dogs to travel alone in Europe, across the United States and in various
neighborhoods where I've lived. I don't have any usable sight except to
check for lights in a room, so I've never had to deal with the question of
whether I can see too much. I mention these things only to say, that it's a
personal decision. If you are interested talk to the dog guide schools and
find out how much vision is too much. Then, maybe meet some folks who have
dogs and watch them interact. I think that you'll find dog guide users run
the whole range of levels of activity, fitness and to some extent vision. I
hope that you will learn a lot from the list, but please don't be hesitant
to ask anything. There are no stupid questions and we are a pretty good
group in terms of answering questions and sharing experiences.

Again, Welcome.

Joy with Belle who is ready to take off to walk the three miles to Star
Bucks.