[nagdu] Introduction

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 18:06:38 UTC 2009

David,

Welcome!  And thanks for sharing.  I am not so far past being just where you
are with RP -- and all that goes with that, which it sounds like you know.
I was starting to ask 'real" questions about guide dogs about then, too,
although I believed I had too much vision.  I just wanted to be ready as I
could be when the time came to make a concrete decision about getting one.
I was younger than you (still am, but not as much as I like to think I am!),
but older than many with RP are when they get to that stage.  I was
diagnosed as a child; I think my RP just remained stable below the point of
legal or functional blindness for 10 or 15 years extra before it decided to
get busy and do what it does. /smile/

You're already doing the best thing you can do with RP, BTW.  Stay ahead of
it!  I like to keep my skills, tools, decision-making, etc., at least two
stages ahead of whatever my current level of vision loss is.  That way, I
have some hope of coming through the next one without a whole lot of
disruption to my life and stuff.  It workds pretty well, although I find the
"brain rewiring" part of adapting to a new progression to be, um, well...
Interesting.  Much in the way LSD trips I've read or been told about could
be described as interesting.  /grin/

Anyway, I have a 3-year-old poodle guide named Mitzi, whom I owner-trained.
There are a few other owner trainers on the list, which surprised me at
first, since I couldn't imagine than anyone else could possibly be crazy
enough to do such a thing. /grin/  As it turns out, my fellow owner-trainers
here and elsewhere are some of the sanest people I know.  There are times
I'm not so sure about myself. /smile/

Anyway, feel free to listen in, ask questions, share your comments,
opinions.  This is where I learned to be a guide dog handler, which I needed
to know to be a guide dog trainer.   When you are ready to decide if a guide
dog is what you want, you will know what you're getting into! /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney