[nagdu] loss of vision was speaking too soon

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 9 22:31:58 UTC 2009

Julie,

Thanks!  You're absolutely correct.  I periodically tend to my own
sleepshade training, and it helps a whole lot.  My vision has within the
past year reached the point I can use a nice set of dark sunglasses to
achieve the same effect, so I can practice out and about without feeling
self-conscious.  /smile/  Would love O&M training under sleepshade; that
does not seem to be available here on any level that is useful to me.  Sigh.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the problem is not with skills or training or
preparation for the next level or attitude or...  Any of those facets of
personal functioning and brain function I have under my direct or indirect
control.  The source of my troubles and the stress and aggravation -- and
quite a bit of embarrassment! -- that results from them really appears to be
the result of my own quirky brain and how it goes about rewiring itself to
adapt to the changing landscape that is vision loss.  Since I first started
loosing my central vision -- which is when my brain went into total freak
out mode, taking my autonomic nervous system with it -- I've learned quite a
few strategies and tricks to help smooth out the process.  And I have
learned the early warning signs so I can get a handle on things before they
get out of hand!  When they do get out of hand, I drop everything and lie
flat on my back for some intensive meditation; however, this takes time and
I try to avoid needing to that beyond my regular meditation routine.

Oops.  Moving away from guide dogs.  I can truly say that getting out and
walking with my guide dog is about the best cure I have found!  When I add a
stint at the dog park using my cane and focusing on my other senses to walk
around the hazards and manage the uneven ground there while she plays, the
effect is miraculous.  So that's convenient!  /grin/

Anyway, thanks for the advice.  If I ever do find a living breathing
instructor who can provide O&M and live skills training without wasting a
lot of time aggravating me to within an inch of my life, I will leap on that
opportunity whole hog!  I'm working in more time with more experienced blind
travelers, which is even more useful.  Also, more fun!  /grin/

I like how you describe how you enjoy and even rarely use your remaining
vision.  In periods of stability, I see my relationship with my own vision
in very similar terms.  I am definitely losing color vision, so I like to
walk around letting my dog deal with the travel logistics while I soak in
all the pretty colors.  /smile/  I am going to be very sad to lose that,
although it appears to be inevitable.  In familiar surroundings, I use my
vision on a limited basis to add information about my surroundings as a sort
of convenience.  /smile/  I have to be careful, though, because this can
lead to my sitting on Daisy.  /grin/

I also cannot seem to walk downhill without looking.  Even under sleepshade!
No, really, I have done that.  My personal O&M goal on that score is to be
able to walk up the very steep hill just behind the house for exercise and
still be able to come back down without making myself sea sick by early next
spring.  I figure if I can get enough of a grip to stop doing that to myself
every time, I will have learned to stop doing it to myself on a smaller
scale overall.  I live for the day.

Tami Smith-Kinney