[nagdu] loss of vision was speaking too soon

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 19:28:25 UTC 2009

Marion,

Thanks!  And I have just extended my plans for using sleepshades or some
equivalent through a few extra levels of vision loss!

I was very fortunate to receive some early O&M sleepshade training when I
was at about the 20/40 stage, since there happened to be a highly qualified
instructor in my area.  His career took him to another state.  By that time,
he had given me enough of a foundation to use in building the O&M skills I
needed to maintain my busy, travel-intensive lifestyle and build on those
skills as I grew to depend upon them more and more.

The fact that I do not have access to O&M instruction consistent with my
real needs is something I simply have to accept and adjust for.  I'm not
point this out to argue with you!  I cannot state strongly enough that, in
Oregon, if you do not live in the right place and are not a properly
dependent newbie blind willing to wait for help to come to you so you can
learn how to get out your own front door, you are well and truly screwed.
This has little to do with NADU; nevertheless, this is a good excuse to make
public comments for the search engines. /grin/

Anyway, as far as my frustration and -- I hate to admit it! -- anxiety
during RP progressions is concerned, I can only confess and accept that I am
causing my own problems all by myself.  Gr! Argh!  For some reason, once my
brain catches on that it suddenly can't see things the way it used to, it
promptly loses the skill set I have built up so I can function the way I
like to.

That's a clumsy explanation!  And I need to quit while I'm ahead here.  Oh!
Too late!  /grin/

I know a few others who do attend to their own sleepshade training in a far
more dedicated fashion than I do myself.  I'm finally good enough that I can
do so here without fear of death; it was far less dangerous to zip around my
old neighborhood and nearby downtown Portland where there are sidewalks and
stoplights and stuff.  /smile/  I still take every opportunity to harness up
and go on new or just really dangerous routes with sighted friends.  I have
to keep reminding them not to give me instruction or tell me how to manage
unless I ask, but these casual, friendly walks do wonders for both Mitzi and
me!

Good luck with your new pup -- not that you need it.  /grin/  I can only
imagine that starting out with a new model guide dog after your long-term
work with Louiza, you will have plenty of entertainment making the switch.
/smile/  Good luck to Merry, too, with her new dog and new adventures in
work and education.

Tami Smith-Kinney