[nagdu] Australia: Horrified owner listens as guide dog mauled

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 11 16:45:52 UTC 2009

Poor dog!  Poor handler!  I'm glad she's working to help publicize the issue
of dog attacks down there!

So I've been thinking about this issue for a few years now -- more so since
I started taking my sweet and delicate pup out for walks in the scary big
city.  /smile/  I felt very protective of her, and I had heard enough by
then about the risk of dog attacks to fret more than a little that I was at
a disadvantage when it came to dealing with one.  I started teaching her
downstay in case of an incident, since that is what guide dog programs teach
and I think the reasoning behind it is sound.

Okay, so it only took my wild child a couple of years to master down stay.
/lol/  She knew what it meant, of course; she just couldn't get herself
anchored to the ground for more than a half second before springing up like
a jack in the box.  So I taught her "behind me."  I used minor dog park
frays to teach her to go behind me as a matter of course.  Early on in
Aloha, Daisy dog provided some excellent opportunity to reinforce it.  Mitzi
was pretty unhappy with me about that, but she did the right thing -- except
for a couple of times when they clashed without any inconvenient humans
around.  I'm a little shocked at how well my delicate poodle with her weird
fighting style can take care of herself against a stressed out psycho
coonhound!  We have a lot less of psycho Daisy these days, and their
sisterly squabbles are more formalized for the most part, so that's a
relief.  But the point is that Ms. Daisy provided some good training
opportunities for me and Mitzi to practice for a real vicious dog attack.

I'm the sort of person who likes to strategize ahead of time, and I have
that rancher background to draw from when it comes to dealing with dangerous
animals.  Including a chow and a pair of herding dogs who were have a
serious conflict over territory.  Guess who was ordered to break it up?  And
did, without getting a scratch.  Huh.

So there are self-defense courses tailored to blind students so they can
defend themselves against human predators and psychos.

I find myself wondering if something along those lines for guide dog users
so that they have more of a chance of protecting themselves and their dogs
if they need to.  Hmmm....

That's just a random thought there, but I wonder what anyone else thinks.

Tami Smith-Kinney