[nagdu] two quick questions

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 16:47:01 UTC 2009

Hi Julie,

Well, I'm not sure what's happening with your pant leg. Thinking aloud, I
wonder if it has to do with your closeness to the dog and the relative
height of the dog to yourself. You might try a longer handle to see if that
puts you further back on the dog's body. Otherwise, you might try wearing
water proof boots that zip over your pant legs to walk to work and change
into professional shoes when you get there. Lots of folks do that. In the
Washington area loads of women wear sneakers on the subway and then change
to heels when they get to work. I used to keep a  pair of heels in my desk
drawer so that I didn't have to carry them with me.

As far as purses go, I carry a purse with a shoulder strap or a briefcase
with a smaller purse inside. When I carry a purse without a brief case I
carry one with a long shoulder strap and loop it over my head and down on
either side of my right shoulder so that the purse is under that arm against
my body. This prevents someone from brushing it off of my shoulder and I
don't have to keep adjusting the darn thing if it slips. I personally prefer
a nice leather bag because it looks professional and is water proof. I don't
carry suede leather in the wet weather as it doesn't do well when wet and
doesn't usually keep the contents dry. I always make sure that there are
outside pockets and/or flaps that enable me to get to my keys and subway
pass without fumbling. There are also nice professional looking shoulder
bags with all kinds of pockets to efficiently store things for easy access.
Carrying a back pack has advantages as well since you can carry things on
your back with healthy weight distribution and your right hand is free but
they don't look as professional. If you have to transport materials from
your office to other meeting spaces. equipment and food for the dog as well
as things for yourself the shoulder bag works better. Be careful not to get
one that is too big as you will over fill it and this can give you shoulder
troubles. One thing about looping the shoulder strap over your head is that
it distributes the weight more evenly across your body and is healthier on
your back. I have a habit of bringing my lunch, reading materials and
device, note taker, water bowl, wallet, keys, and folders of materials for
meetings in my bag and find the money to get a real leather bag that I can
oil and make water resistant worth the money. It depends on you and your
office. You could put things into a water proof back pack and simply shed it
as soon as you get to work.

I also, have a leather looking brief case with zip out sections to make it
very roomy and several sections in it which I sometimes carry. This allows
me to bring a towel for the dog and all my other goodies. I usually have
this as my carry-on in the plane. It has several outside zippers and
compartments to carry my crocheting for trips. You can remove the shoulder
strap if you want to carry it by the shorter handles.