[nagdu] guide dog responsibilities

Ioana Gandrabur igandrabur at gmx.de
Mon Nov 30 18:48:21 UTC 2009

Hello Chris,

I have now had Adrian my first guide dog for about 2 years. Like you I have
thought about the possibility to get a guide dog for many ears and am very
glad I made the plunge like you put it.

I had never taken care of anybody or anything before. We had a pet dog for a
few months but it was my parents that would look after him so it hardly
counts.

Here are some thoughts about pointers that I think are important in such a
decision.

1.  . Do you like dogs in general
I think this of course is a big issue since they do require maintenance and
problem solving sometimes but if you like that kind of interaction than it
is well worth the effort.
For example I am not crazy to have to go out in the winter at -13 Celsius to
walk Adrian but inevitably when I am out I am happy to be moving in fresh
air.

2. I was a good cane user I think but never enjoyed going out. I did it
because I had to go from a to b but now I am looking for excuses to go out
to work with Adrian and have become more active.

3. Think of your working and home environment and assess if a dog will be
welcome there and would be happy or create problems or tensions etc.

While I think getting a dog is the best thing I could have done I can
imagine that for some life stiles it might not work out easily. It does
imply vet visits, buying  food, walking the dog, find places for him to go
do his business when you are in unfamiliar area etc But this can also be a
joy to care for an other living being and share the joys and goofy things a
dog can bring in your life.

To answer your question about peoples reaction before and after guide dogs I
have found that before people would go "wow, you are blind and do so many
things etc" and now they just go "great dog!" I have become nr 2 and find it
kind of nice. On the other hand with a cane they would interfere to
helpfully mess me up with crossings etc meaning well but scaring me while
grabbing my arm without warning for example. I found this irritating but
funny and could laugh about it easily. I find they do that less but I
personally get more emotional about them interfering with Adrian's work if
they try to make him follow them or even grab his harness. I still remain
polite and tell them to interact with me not the dog but I am I guess a bit
protective with him. Over all I find traveling with a guide dog more
"adventurous" If I can say so. More small events, passing dogs, constant
interaction with him, not just me and my cane.

Hope this ramblings help a bit and good luck with your choice.
IOana and Adrian