[nagdu] guide dog responsibilities

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Mon Nov 30 20:42:24 UTC 2009

Chris,

I've just started working with my new dog full time in the past few weeks.
I used a cane most of the time for the two previous years and a guide dog
before that.  I owner train so my experience is a bit different.

I am a very good cane traveler.  I choose to use a guide dog because that is
what I prefer and because it is physically more comfortable for me.  I
definitely think the cane is a totally respectable mobility tool.

You asked about respect in regard to using a cane or guide dog.  I don't
know that people have any different level of respect since I started using a
guide dog again.   I really think people are generally intimidated by me.  I
have found that people feel more comfortable approaching me or talking with
me since I have a dog again.  I rarely get overly helpful people with either
cane or dog.  It's always been that way for me.  It's also a very rare
occasion when someone grabs me or tries to physically maneuver me.  I have a
very large lab/Boxer cross and I get loads of comments about how beautiful
he is, but not too many people pet him without asking.

The short answer is that I don't think the level of respect has changed, but
the likelihood that people will want to talk has gone up a fair amount.

HTH
Julie