[nagdu] Grief sessions in class

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 01:48:15 UTC 2009

I went to one of those classes, though it was referred to as more of a
transition class rather than greaving, I found it helpful though. It
was just me, two other students who were also retrains, and a staff
member. I was there for my second dog and the other students had used
a few dogs before that point. Though the staff member offered to meet
again the second week of class, none of us did. By that point, we had
fully moved into using and bonding with our respective dogs. Plus, she
said that though the offer is always made, not many students take her
up on successive meetings. I agree with something said earlier, that
it depends on the mood and experiences of the users and staff present
as to how the time will go and how you'll feel. My first dog died in a
more or less rapid fashion, like in about 90 minutes from when a
friend called me to when I was at the vet's office with him when they
administered the drug to put him to sleep. Outside of a few friends, I
had not expressed these series of events to many people, so I found it
helpful to recount it to other people, and I drew strength from the
other student's experiences. The greaving/transition classes
definitely have their places and I'm glad the schools offer them for
those that need/want them.

Wayne