[nagdu] Grief sessions in class

Cindy Ray cindyray at qwest.net
Wed Oct 14 02:22:49 UTC 2009

How such a class goes is dependent on the staff persons who are in charge
and he make up of those classes. The first one I attended, which was early
on in their usse at TSE, I was not grieving the loss of a guide in a way.
had returned her because she wasn't making it. I worked her back to the
school, I think this was the one. I think my big issue was the big red
retriever I had given away to make space for that dog's replacement. I may
be misremembering this though because as I think on it, I'm not sure when
those classes began at TSE, but I do know that I did go to the class on that
trip to TSE, and I needed to talk about my pet. Sometimes I have found it
useful to visit with the person privately because of my sense of inadequacy
and just to remember past dogs with her. I agree, Wayne, that these
evenings, or whenever, are a blessing for those who want and need them, and
no one is obligated to attend such a class. If I went when I got Fisher it
was to kill time, but I really am thinking maybe I did not. I can't say I
was grieving, and Fisher and I were having a blast at the time. These
classes would be wrong if people were required to attend tem. And if there
could be a class better placed and better done, then itt could be good for
folks to relate their feelings about it to the school.

Anyway, it's really interesting to hear how different folk react to them.

Cindy Lou