[nagdu] Petting

Cindy Ray cindyray at qwest.net
Sun Oct 18 20:54:52 UTC 2009

All righty then, we've now approached a new topic, so I hope we will change
the subject line on it.

People should not pet the dog in any place far as I am concerned unless they
have asked first and then you have he dog at sit and rest and are in total
control. Sure, it makes a difference with the dogs, too. Some just get wound
up if people sstart petting them; others take it in stride. I will on
occasion tell someone that they can pet, but before I let them start, I have
the dog sitting and then I keep my hand on it, too. They are working while
in harness whether they are traveling or sitting; they should be treated
that way. I know some people don't agree with that and I respect it, but it
makes things a little easier if it is h
andled in that way. If you aren't walking anywhere, then the dog should be
sitting or lying down, that's part of its work. If he jumps up because
someone starts petting him, then he is temporarily breakinghis "contract."
Not sure I' put a "be good" collar on him at a time like that because I
think that could be regarded as extreme and will bring criticism, but I
don't know what your situation is and I will actually not say that you are
right/wrong on it. I only know I wouldn't, but I don't allow petting either.
Cindy Lou