[nagdu] ranting

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 19:54:47 UTC 2009

Yeah, it depends a lot on the dog, doesn't it?  I intended to follow a
strick hands-off the dog policy with my strange curly black pup when we
first started out, and I was pleased that she was the shy type of poodle and
didn't really want to be petted anyway...  Even our close friends were
welcome to admire the curls from afar, but no touching allowed!  She hid
behind me or under me is she thought someone might be thinking about
touching her!

This was long before we put on a real harness, but when people would come up
to us on our walks, I would sort of wave my cane to make sure they got the
picture, tell them I was training her to be a guide dog and I would rather,
really, they didn't pet her....  Usually while spinning around in circles as
they chased my poor shy pup trying to get their hands on her!  I tried being
more firmly polite, and Mitzi would put forth greater effort to avoid being
petted, and I began to wonder if beating the person with my cane that was so
conveniently in my free hand would be okay in that situation...  I would try
sticking it between hands and poodle...  Good grief!

Then the person would finally clue in to the fact the dog was running away
from them, and they would be all over hurt feelings.  Why doesn't she like
me?  Dogs always love me?  What did I do?  Why doesn't she like to be
petted.  She lets you pet her.  Because by that time I would be doing
calming touch on her while she superglued herself to my leg and watched
warily for unwanted hands.  Which did give me a chance to talk calmly to the
person and educate them in a less hectic manner.  This also allowed me to
demonstrate to Mitzi that it was all okay, nothing to worry about here,
people are friendly, we like them....  We would finally go home, Mitzi
appearing to be very calm and well-mannered at heel (which really worried
me; heeling does not come naturally to her, and I believe she has deep
convictions about not engaging in such unnatural activities).  We would get
home, settle on the couch for snuggles and pets, and then she would throw up
on the couch....

I finally gave it up and started training her to greet people, although we
do keep it at least semi-formal.  There are still days when she doesn't want
to greet beyond a quick grin and wag of the tail, so I tell the person to
stop, then tell them again...  /smile/  Then there are the days when she is
a shameless hussy!  So I'm gradually cutting down on giving peole permission
when they ask.  I need to retrain myself to deal firmly with stealth petters
and the very, very determined.  Sigh.  Despite my poking fun at her
independent strong will, she's a very responsible dog and will do everything
she can to avoid being petted if I ask someone not to pet her.  But I think
she's grown up enough not to keep from being totally stressed out by it all,
so we're working up to it.

Tami Smith-Kinney