[nagdu] bad to worse

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Wed Oct 21 17:53:06 UTC 2009

Tracy,

I like how you explained your example. It's often some unintended or
unintentional thing that happens which drives the problem. Dogs are also
great to try to anticipate where you are going. From their perspective it
seems perfectly reasonable to go from point A to point C rather than having
to go from A to B and then to C. I've also found that some dogs will make
clearance for things long after they are moved. For example, I once lived in
a development where the down ramp at the corner was often piled with snow in
the winter which required us to jog to the right and go around it and then
correct the jog and continue across the street. I had to work with my dog to
convince him that the snow was long gone by June. I did this by holding my
body straight and gently encouraging him to cross straight. If that hadn't
worked, I would have had someone take me across sighted guide and have the
dog heel. In both instances I would have had a party of praise at the
corner. I.e. lots of enthusiastic praise and pats. No need to be loud or
make a seen, only the dog needs to know that it's wonderful. At this point,
Laura, I think that you need a trainer to come and work with you. In
addition to having their experienced eyes on the situation, you need some
confirmation that things are as they should be, and I don't think you know
that it is. I would be insistent on having someone come whether or not you
believe that you will be able to work that dog. You need the confidence. I
do know that Leader has instructors who do home visits. I've met one of them
and he's a great guy.

Have faith in yourself and try to find a way to lessen your stress for now.
Then make a polite but firm call and ask to speak to the training
department.

Hugs to you and pats for your pup who's having a stressful time as well.

Joy with Bell, who says, "hmm,  she thinks  she has the answers"?