[nagdu] bad to worse

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 22 11:16:19 UTC 2009

Laura,

If you are able, try to approach the whole situation with an open mind as it
is easy to be frustrated at this point.  It is easy for us to say, as we are
not in your shoes and behind that harness, but really try not to think
negatively.  You are a very young team at 4 months, and still a large
learning curve to achieve, establishing that bond which is so crucial, and
everything that your NAGDU peers have provided.  From corrections to praise
or from stress to success, this is a lot.  We all have our experiences that
we have shared but this is your situation that you will have to find out
what will ultimately be the best that works for you.

The last comment that I do want to share ; as this did really happen with my
current girl Misha that I was matched with from LD last July.  When I did
get back, I found myself being kind of hard on her as I did not really know
her all that well in those few immediate weeks after match as she is a very
sensitive and emotional little girl even though I did know this from what
the trainer told me and as we worked at LD.  There is so much to take in and
sometimes we just feel we know it all at first.  I was not trusting her and
I was the problem.  I really backed off, and after 3 guides I made that
sudden realization that we need to be having fun.  Of course, being serious
about our work, but really having fun with what we do as a team out in the
public, at work and so much more.  We have been together now for 1.3 years,
and she is absolutely wonderful.  She is so happy, and sometimes just making
little realizations that only you can make might just be the thing that
turns your team in a new shining direction.

If they pull the dog, it's not the end of the world as if at the very least
it has been an incredible learning experience for you.  If they do identify
the problems, work with it, but most of all learn to relax and have fun with
your guide as they are emotional sensitive beings that just want to please
and be our friends.  Remember waht they have gone through to be with us and
the let downs of losing one person in their life to the next and now it is
another new person for them not to trust and this is where we make that
change and the end result will be memories that will make you glow for a
lifetime.

Steve, Misha and Ripley (retired)